Summer is upon us and we’re in the mood for cocktails, flamingo floats and looking our most beautiful bronzed selves. But how do you get that golden glow to last longer without facing all the wrinkles and skin damage that comes with too much sun exposure?
The answer, of course, is a spray tan. And with the right preparation and care, you can ensure your tan lasts longer than ever. So, if you’re booked in to our Cobham or Weybridge salons to enjoy our spray tan service, here’s what you can do to prepare for and prolong that tan.
Our Top Tips on Preparing for a Spray Tan
- Exfoliate – The most helpful thing you can do to ensure a long-lasting and smooth spray tan is to exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate. This will give you the smoothest base for the tan to stick to as well an ensuring the removal of any dead skin that might later come off and leave your tan patchy.
- Stay hydrated – Hydrated skin is smooth skin. Drink plenty of water in the week leading up to your spray tan and make sure to eat greens like spinach and kale to boost smooth-making lysine in the skin. This will help prevent dry patches that will leave your tan looking streaky.
- Shave or wax in advance – Lots of people make the mistake of shaving or getting a wax just before they tan. This can leave pores open and skin broken and irritated, none of which makes for smooth long-lasting colour. Try to do any hair removal at least a day before your spray tan to let your skin recover.
- Leave off the products – Properly prepped skin should be hydrated and free of all products. Moisturisers, deodorants, perfumes and makeup can all prevent the spray tan from working properly, so make sure to leave these out of your routine for at least 24 hours beforehand.
- Dress right – There’s no point going through all that prep for your clothes to rub your tan off as soon as you’ve had it applied. Remember to wear loose-fitting and dark clothing that won’t get ruined by your tan or rub it off. The same goes for jewellery.
Our Top Tips on Prolonging a Spray Tan
- Apply baby powder – If you’re tanning in this hot weather, sweat can cause problems. Applying baby powder to areas like underarms, the backs of knees, the cleavage, the small of the back or anywhere else where sweat gathers can help set the tanning product and prevent it from streaking.
- Take care in the shower – The way you wash after your spray tan will have a big impact on how long it lasts. Be sure to ask your technician how long you should wait before you can shower, and then make sure to use lukewarm water and gentle products that won’t slough off your tan or cause it to streak.
- Chuck out the oils – Keeping your skin moisturised rather than dry and flaky is key for getting your tan to last, but be careful which moisturiser you use. Oil-based products or citrus ingredients will cause your tan to come right off so stick to oil-free and gentler versions.
- Use light exfoliation – Sadly, spray tans do fade eventually, and you’ll want yours to fade at an even rate all over your body. Areas that sweat or rub against clothing will fade faster so use light and gentle exfoliation to even out these areas and keep the rest of your skin in line.
- Detox your tan – While it can be tempting to layer self-tan over your existing tan or to have another spray tan put on top, this will only lead to a patchy and streaky build-up of colour. When it’s time to book in for your next spray tan, give your skin a good scrub or apply a very small amount of lemon juice mixed with baby oil to thoroughly cleanse your skin in advance. This will ensure you get the smoothest and longest-lasting tan every time.
So, there you have it: you’re all set for a long-lasting tan to see you through the summer. If you haven’t already, get your spray tan booked in with Academy Salons today. Our brilliant beauticians will leave you with a bronzed body to be proud of.